We are blessed with a thriving, active community of young singers at Nassau Presbyterian, ages four through high school. By engaging with choral repertoire including music from around the world, and traditional hymns and songs from our faith, children and youth develop their musicianship skills and faithful service as leaders in worship. Our focus is on singing and instrument playing as an act of praise with gratitude for all that God has given us!
All choirs lead worship and special services throughout the year, September through May. These experiences deepen our faith as we remember years later the words of our song, and the joyful community we share together.
All children and youth are welcome, and we look forward to welcoming each one. Please feel free to contact me.
Associate Director, Choirs for Children & Youth
- Pre-kindergarten to kindergarten
- Rehearsals are Wednesdays from 4:15 to 5:00 PM (Choir Schedule – Joyful Noise, pdf, updated 10/15/2018)
Our youngest choristers focus on musical activities that nurture inherent joy, collaboration, and a love of singing. Worship offerings are minimal, with the primary emphasis being comfort with the developing singing voice in a group setting.
- Grades 1 to 2
- Wednesdays from 4:15 to 5:00 PM (Choir Schedule – Carol Choir, pdf, updated 10/15/2018)
In Carol Choir children begin regular participation in worship as they expand their musical skills. Focus remains on developing musicianship and ensemble skill through a love of singing, movement and playing rhythm instruments.
- Grades 3 to 5
- Wednesdays from 5:15 to 6:00 PM (Choir Schedule – Choir 3-4-5, pdf, updated 10/15/2018)
Through small group, solo and ensemble singing, choristers explore their individual voices in creating a beautiful choral sound. Movement, ear training and improvisation along with opportunities to collaborate are fundamental in developing musicianship during these beautiful singing years. Choristers learn music notation and instrumental play through traditional hymns and anthems.
Wednesdays at Nassau are more than just choir rehearsals.
Learn about our Bible study for parents, childcare for the young ones, and activities for older children under Partnering with Parents.
Middle School Choir
- Grades 6 to 8
- Sundays from 6:40 to 7:30 PM (Choir Schedule – Middle School Choir, pdf)
Middle school singers rehearse in sectionals as well as ensemble, to focus on the development of the changing voice and efficiently learn parts. In addition to vocal training and anthem preparation, rehearsals include musicianship skill and music literacy training, improvisation and small group collaboration.
- Grades 9 to 12
- Sundays from 5:00 to 6:00 PM (Choir Schedule – Cantorei, pdf)
Cantorei is our choir for high school youth. The Latin word Cantorei is defined as “people who provide music for their church”. Cantorei offers challenging and diverse repertoire and frequently seeks youth soloists. Section leaders and a librarian provide leadership for the group. In addition to Sunday morning worship, Cantorei prepares music for Christmas Eve with choir alumni, Good Friday, and Youth Sunday services.
- Regular performances in worship services (for details see each choir’s “schedule” above)
- Christmas Pageant – Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 4 pm
- Special services like Christmas Eve (with alumni), Youth Sunday (March 17, 2018), and Good Friday
- Summer Chancel Drama -Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 10 am
- Special performances, including full-scale productions, performances for conferences, and joint performances with local churches as well as musical groups like the American Boychoir, Princeton Pro Musica, Trenton Children’s Chorus, and Philadelphia’s Singing City
- Performances of commissioned pieces, including by composers Daniel Gawthrop and David Brubeck
- Recordings like Glory to God: Hymns and Songs for Children and Families (Singing Faith—All Day Long), Wings of Faith, and more
See our upcoming concerts in the Music and Arts Season.
Our youth choir alumni are invited to sing every year in the 7:00 p.m. Christmas Eve service. Join the Youth Choir Alumni email list to receive rehearsal and performance details.
We also invite you to follow the Nassau Youth Choir Alumni Facebook page.