CHOIR 2021-2022 Update:
One of the many joys we embrace is witnessing the music offerings of our children and youth in our congregational worship of God. These offerings are vital to our worship, and the values we inherently possess. That these programs continue to thrive and find new ways to grow in the coming year is of primary importance to who we are, and who we will become.
In the coming program 2021-2022 year, we will explore percussion instruments, Orff instruments, chimes and creative collaborations in addition to singing. We plan to gather in-person, wear masks, change rehearsal space mid-way in order to allow for proper air transmission, and we will keep a keen eye on any need to change our current practice.
Thank you for partnering with us, and for bestowing value on your child’s music participation in our community of faith. Please reach out with any questions, or just to say hello!
In shared ministry,
We are blessed with a thriving, active community of young singers at Nassau Presbyterian, ages four through high school. By engaging with choral repertoire including music from around the world, and traditional hymns and songs from our faith, children and youth develop their musicianship skills and faithful service as leaders in worship. Our focus is on singing and instrument playing as an act of praise with gratitude for all that God has given us!
All choirs lead worship and special services throughout the year, September through May. These experiences deepen our faith as we remember years later the words of our song, and the joyful community we share together.
All children and youth are welcome, and we look forward to welcoming each one. Please feel free to contact me.
Associate Director, Choirs for Children & Youth
- Pre-kindergarten to kindergarten (4 & 5 years)
- Rehearsals are Sundays, 10:15-10:45 AM
Our youngest choristers focus on musical activities that nurture inherent joy, collaboration, and a love of singing. Worship offerings are minimal, with the primary emphasis being comfort with the developing singing voice in a group setting.
- Grades 1 to 2
- Wednesdays from 4:15 to 5:00 PM
In Carol Choir children begin regular participation in worship as they expand their musical skills. Focus remains on developing musicianship and ensemble skill through a love of singing, movement and playing rhythm instruments.
- Grades 3, 4 & 5
- Wednesdays from 5:15 to 6:00 PM
Through small group, solo and ensemble singing, choristers explore their individual voices in creating a beautiful choral sound. Movement, ear training, and improvisation along with opportunities to collaborate are fundamental in developing musicianship during these beautiful singing years. Choristers learn music notation and instrumental play through traditional hymns and anthems.
Wednesdays at Nassau also offer:
Bible study for parents, childcare for the young ones, and activities for older children.
Choir Schedule – Chorale (pdf)
- Grades 6, 7 & 8
- Sundays from 6:40 to 7:30 PM
Middle school singers rehearse in sectionals as well as ensemble, to focus on the development of the changing voice and efficiently learn parts. In addition to vocal training and anthem preparation, rehearsals include musicianship skill and music literacy training, improvisation and small group collaboration.
- Grades 9 to 12
- Sundays from 5:00 to 6:00 PM
Cantorei is our choir for high school youth. The Latin word Cantorei is defined as “people who provide music for their church.” Cantorei offers challenging and diverse repertoire and frequently seeks youth soloists. In addition to Sunday morning worship, Cantorei prepares music for Christmas Eve with choir alumni, Good Friday, and Youth Sunday services.
- Regular music leadership in worship services (download pdf under each choir above)
- Christmas Pageant – Sunday, December 19, 2021 at 4 pm
- Special services like Christmas Eve (with alumni), Youth Sunday (March 20, 2022), and Good Friday (April 15, 2022)
- Summer Chancel Drama -August 2022
- Special opportunities, including full-scale productions, conferences, and joint choirs with local churches as well as musical groups like the American Boychoir, Princeton Pro Musica, Trenton Children’s Chorus, and Philadelphia’s Singing City
- Commissioned pieces, including by composers Daniel Gawthrop and David Brubeck
- Recordings like Glory to God: Hymns and Songs for Children and Families (Singing Faith—All Day Long), Wings of Faith, and more
Our youth choir alumni are invited to sing every year in the 7:00 p.m. Christmas Eve service. Join the Youth Choir Alumni email list to receive rehearsal and performance details!
We also invite you to follow the Nassau Youth Choir Alumni Facebook page.