Nassau Presbyterian Church is seeking a part-time Associate Director for its children and youth choir program, to begin August 2017. For a detailed job description and required education and experience, see below or download this pdf document.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Noel Werner, Director of Music (email@example.com) by March 6, 2017.
Church members who wish to apply are asked to contact Noel directly to schedule a conversation prior to submitting a cover letter and resume.
The children and youth choirs play a significant role in the worship experience of the church and the faith experience of the choristers. The Associate Director of Choirs for Children and Youth (ACD) will be expected to build relationships with the children, the youth, and the families of those in the choirs, and the ACD is encouraged to bring their faith and their passion for music and teaching to the role.
This is a 10-month (August-May), part-time position (approximately 20 hours per week, with variability depending on the liturgical season), reporting to the Director of Music.
Music Program Overview
Music is a high priority of Nassau Church and is supported programmatically and financially. A graded choral program for children pre-school through adult is supplemented with bell choirs, instrumental soloists and ensembles, concerts, collaborations outside of our walls, and an annual artist residency. The music program has a choral library with over 3000 titles, a substantial portion of which is devoted to children and youth. Organ, harpsichord, piano, synthesizer, handbells, choirchimes, and a wide variety of percussion instruments (including Orff) are all well-maintained and of high quality.
- Prepare and direct weekly rehearsals for choirs in grades 1 through 12.
- Direct children and youth ensembles in worship. Each ensemble participates and leads worship an average of 7 times each year.
- Direct music for the following special services/events:
- Christmas Pageant (3:00 PM service the Sunday before Christmas)
- Christmas Eve (7:00 PM service)
- Chancel Drama Week (August)
- Be a committed part of the church’s worship tradition, being a regular part of the Sunday worship life in addition to the times children and youth are singing
- Maintain regular contact with choristers, their families, and parent volunteers with the assistance of administrative support staff
- Meet weekly with the Director of Music and administrative support staff to coordinate and support the entire music program
- Perform related duties as may be required or asked as part of the music and arts focus in the church and in worship
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Arts in Music Education, Sacred Music, or Choral Conducting with an emphasis in children and youth
- Master degree in music preferred
- A minimum of three years choral teaching experience with children/youth within the 1st through 12th grade age range
- Keyboard skills highly desired
- Development of choral programming that engages children and youth, supports musical development, and embodies collaboration within the choir
- Demonstrated use of pedagogical skills to enhance the development of children and youth, both musically and as a whole person
- Collaborative working style
- Energetic and engaged leadership
- Commitment to choral excellence balanced with a commitment to the spiritual and musical development of each child
- Ability to build positive connections with children, youth, and adults
- Self-motivated and organized
- Creative thinker
- Comfortable expressing Christian faith