Your church staff continues to make necessary plans this week regarding public health concerns. It is a rapidly changing landscape and we are responding, planning, and sharing decisions with the Session. We are in communication with local government and very aware of the plans announced this week by the University and the Seminary.
Because of our deep concern for the well-being of our church and community, beginning today, Wednesday March 11, 2020 we will be cancelling all programming, events, and activities. We are taking a Lenten Sabbatical and possibly beyond to ensure we are doing all we can to keep COVID-19 / Coronavirus from spreading.
This includes the cancellation of all scheduled meetings, rehearsals, and Sunday worship. March 15th’s Youth Sunday will be rescheduled at a future date. Lenten Small Groups and communion dinners will not be held, but we will work with the leaders to meet by creative means. Arm In Arm already has a plan in place for getting food to those who need it.
Each week we will update the congregation as to our plans and any changes to what is listed above. Please check the church website and your email for these updates. For this Sunday, we will post a filmed service brought to you by the staff.
As we continue on this Lenten journey unlike any other, please remember to check on neighbors, friends, and church members. Communication, support, and reassurance are ultimately important.
You can reach our staff members through their emails and office phones and we will keep our emergency cell phone on each and every day. If needed, please call the cell phone at 1-609-613-1077.
We will continue to review and adapt on a day to day basis.
March 6, 2020
To the Nassau Presbyterian Church Family,
We would like to assure you that your church staff has been discussing plans and making preparations in light of the rapid spread of the COVID-19 virus. Our resources have included the World Health Organization, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the State of New Jersey Department of Health, and the Presbyterian Church (USA). We are also reaching out to health care professionals in the congregation. Our commitment to you is to make responsible decisions without fueling fear and misinformation.
Please find the items below for your information, safety and health.
- Please remember to make responsible choices for your own health and the health of those around you. If you do not feel well, please do not come to worship and church activities. If you choose to be extra careful and refrain from gathering in groups and crowds, please know your church supports you.
- Church staff have created a handout on self-care and prevention with information from all the resources mentioned. It is available on Sunday and on our website.
- Extra bottles of sanitizer and bleach wipes will be available throughout the building and in classrooms. Remember, this is not a substitute for thoroughly washing hands with soap and hot water.
- Extra time and care will be taken in cleaning knobs, bars, and surfaces throughout the building.
- Lenten small group communion and Lenten home dinner communion will NOT be celebrated by intinction. Our traditional Presbyterian small cups or small glasses will be provided along with other materials.
- We are paying close attention to the directions of the State of New Jersey Department of Health while monitoring Princeton University, Princeton Theological Seminary and local schools. We are prepared to cancel all activity at 61 Nassau Street if necessary. If that action is required, sermons, music, prayers, and other worship resources will be prerecorded and available on our website.
- Ongoing discussions are being held to provide pastoral care for any who may be facing extended time in their home. We are also in touch with our area hospitals about clergy visitation, or restriction.
If you have any questions, please be in touch with any member of the staff and let us continue to prayer for the sick, medical and public officials, and all the vulnerable who live in fear.
With grace and peace,
David A. Davis