The voices of our children and youth are intricately woven into the fabric of Nassau’s worship life. Their leadership is memorable and meaningful, and we are grateful for and blessed by their presence.
Singing in choir builds our community as we express our human experiences and seek to grow into faith. We experience spiritual, social, mental and emotional benefits when we sing together, throughout our lives. Thank you for partnering with us, and for bestowing value on your child’s music participation in our community of faith. See below for descriptions of our choirs, and please always feel free to reach out to me.
In shared ministry,
Director, Choirs for Children & Youth
We are blessed with a thriving, active community of young singers at Nassau Presbyterian, ages four through high school. By engaging with choral repertoire including music from around the world, and traditional hymns and songs from our faith, children and youth develop their musicianship skills and faithful service as leaders in worship. Our focus is on singing and instrument playing as an act of praise with gratitude for all that God has given us!
All choirs lead worship and special services throughout the year, September through May. These experiences deepen our faith as we remember years later the words of our song, and the joyful community we share together.
All children and youth are welcome, and we look forward to welcoming each one.
- Pre-kindergarten to kindergarten (4 & 5 years)
- Sundays, 10:05-10:30 AM in Niles Chapel
Our youngest choristers focus on musical activities that nurture inherent joy, collaboration, and a love of singing. Worship offerings are minimal, with the primary emphasis being comfort with the developing singing voice in a group setting.
- Grades 1 to 2
- Wednesdays, 4:15 to 5:00 PM in the Music Room
- Sundays, 10:30-10:55 AM in Niles Chapel
In Carol Choir children begin regular participation in worship as they expand their musical skills. Focus remains on developing musicianship and ensemble skill through a love of singing, movement and playing rhythm instruments.
- Grades 3, 4 & 5
- Wednesdays, 5:15 to 6:00 PM in the Music Room
Through small group, solo and ensemble singing, choristers explore their individual voices in creating a beautiful choral sound. Movement, ear training, and improvisation along with opportunities to collaborate are fundamental in developing musicianship during these beautiful singing years. Choristers learn music notation and instrumental play through traditional hymns and anthems.
Wednesdays at Nassau also offer
Homework Hangout for Choir 3-4-5 students who arrive early.
Choir Schedule – Chorale (pdf)
- Grades 6, 7 & 8
- Sundays, 6:40 to 7:40 PM in the Music Room
Middle school singers rehearse in sectionals as well as ensemble, to focus on the development of the changing voice and efficiently learn parts. In addition to vocal training and anthem preparation, rehearsals include musicianship skill and music literacy training, improvisation and small group collaboration.
- Grades 9 to 12
- Sundays, 5:00 to 6:00 PM in the Music Room
Cantorei is our choir for high school youth. The Latin word Cantorei is defined as “people who provide music for their church.” Cantorei offers challenging and diverse repertoire and frequently seeks youth soloists. In addition to Sunday morning worship, Cantorei prepares music for Christmas Eve with choir alumni, Good Friday, and Youth Sunday services.
- Regular music leadership in worship services throughout the program year(download pdf under each choir above)
- Christmas Pageant – Sunday, December 17, 2023 at 4:00 pm
- Special services like Christmas Eve (with alumni), Youth Sunday (March 17, 2024), and Good Friday (March 29, 2024)
- Summer Chancel Drama -August 5-11, 2024
- Special opportunities, including full-scale productions, caroling in local communities, joint choirs with local churches as well as musical groups like the American Boychoir, Princeton Pro Musica, Trenton Children’s Chorus.
Our youth choir alumni are invited to sing every year in the 7:00 p.m. Christmas Eve service. Join the Youth Choir Alumni email list to receive rehearsal and performance details!
We also invite you to follow the Nassau Youth Choir Alumni Facebook page.