One of the many joys we embrace is receiving the music offerings of our children and youth in our congregational worship of God. These offerings are vital to our worship, and the values we inherently possess. That this program continue to thrive and find new ways to grow in the coming year is of primary importance to who we are, and who we will become.
Singing in choir builds our community as we express our human experiences and seek to grow into faith. We experience spiritual, social, mental and emotional benefits when we sing together, throughout all stages of life. Thank you for partnering with us, and for bestowing value on your child’s music participation in our community of faith. See below for descriptions of our choirs, and please feel free to reach out to me.
In shared ministry,
Associate Director, Choirs for Children & Youth
We are blessed with a thriving, active community of young singers at Nassau Presbyterian, ages four through high school. By engaging with choral repertoire including music from around the world, and traditional hymns and songs from our faith, children and youth develop their musicianship skills and faithful service as leaders in worship. Our focus is on singing and instrument playing as an act of praise with gratitude for all that God has given us!
All choirs lead worship and special services throughout the year, September through May. These experiences deepen our faith as we remember years later the words of our song, and the joyful community we share together.
All children and youth are welcome, and we look forward to welcoming each one.
- Pre-kindergarten to kindergarten (4 & 5 years)
- Rehearsals are Sundays, 10:15-10:45 AM
Our youngest choristers focus on musical activities that nurture inherent joy, collaboration, and a love of singing. Worship offerings are minimal, with the primary emphasis being comfort with the developing singing voice in a group setting.
- Grades 1 to 2
- Wednesdays from 4:15 to 5:00 PM
In Carol Choir children begin regular participation in worship as they expand their musical skills. Focus remains on developing musicianship and ensemble skill through a love of singing, movement and playing rhythm instruments.
- Grades 3, 4 & 5
- Wednesdays from 5:15 to 6:00 PM
Through small group, solo and ensemble singing, choristers explore their individual voices in creating a beautiful choral sound. Movement, ear training, and improvisation along with opportunities to collaborate are fundamental in developing musicianship during these beautiful singing years. Choristers learn music notation and instrumental play through traditional hymns and anthems.
Wednesdays at Nassau also offer:
Bible study for parents, childcare for the young ones, and activities for older children.
Choir Schedule – Chorale (pdf)
- Grades 6, 7 & 8
- Sundays from 6:40 to 7:30 PM
Middle school singers rehearse in sectionals as well as ensemble, to focus on the development of the changing voice and efficiently learn parts. In addition to vocal training and anthem preparation, rehearsals include musicianship skill and music literacy training, improvisation and small group collaboration.
- Grades 9 to 12
- Sundays from 5:00 to 6:00 PM
Cantorei is our choir for high school youth. The Latin word Cantorei is defined as “people who provide music for their church.” Cantorei offers challenging and diverse repertoire and frequently seeks youth soloists. In addition to Sunday morning worship, Cantorei prepares music for Christmas Eve with choir alumni, Good Friday, and Youth Sunday services.
- Regular music leadership in worship services (download pdf under each choir above)
- Christmas Pageant – Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 4:00 pm
- Special services like Christmas Eve (with alumni), Youth Sunday (March 19, 2023), and Good Friday (April 7, 2023)
- Summer Chancel Drama -August 6-13, 2023
- Special opportunities, including full-scale productions, conferences, and joint choirs with local churches as well as musical groups like the American Boychoir, Princeton Pro Musica, Trenton Children’s Chorus, and Philadelphia’s Singing City
- Commissioned pieces, including by composers Daniel Gawthrop and David Brubeck
- Recordings like Glory to God: Hymns and Songs for Children and Families (Singing Faith—All Day Long), Wings of Faith, and more
Our youth choir alumni are invited to sing every year in the 7:00 p.m. Christmas Eve service. Join the Youth Choir Alumni email list to receive rehearsal and performance details!
We also invite you to follow the Nassau Youth Choir Alumni Facebook page.